Pay Now or Forfeit Rights

Skip navigation

Pay Now or Forfeit Rights

Published 12th March 10, 12:0am

The Caymanian Status and Permanent Residency (CSPR) Board advises anyone who has been granted Permanent Residency, or the right to be Caymanian, or who has been issued an Employment Rights Certificate, to clear any unpaid fees now.

All outstanding funds, including the annual fees mandated by the Employment Rights Certificate, should be paid by 31 March 2010. Anyone who has been approved for these rights is advised to make relevant payments at the Department of Immigration by that date or before, to avoid having such approval revoked or declared null and void.

Voicing his concern about the significant value of outstanding fees, CSPR Board Chairman Waide DaCosta stated, "The Board is very much concerned that new Caymanians and permament residents are not paying their fees.

"Their applications were granted in good faith and it is disappointing that some of the new grantees are not taking the necessary steps to effect the validility of their new status. In some cases, this means that they are working illegally."

He added, "I assure the public that the Board is willing to take the necessary steps to ensure that only those persons with fees paid will enjoy the benefits of the residency facility."

Supporting this initiative, Chief Immigration Officer Linda Evans said the department will provide the CSPR with reports on outstanding fees and will thereafter enforce the Board's decisions to revoke or nullify the grants.

"I do hope that all persons concerned will take this matter seriously, and will pay any outstanding fees without further delay," said Ms. Evans.

Employers are asked to assist the Immigration Department in recovering outstanding fees by requiring employees who are permanent residents and new Caymanians to provide them with evidence that their immigration fees are current.

Furher, when considering hiring a permanent resident, employers must request that the new employee provides proof of authorisation to work in the relevant occupation. This evidence can be obtained from the applicant's certificate.

Those persons working outside of the occupation(s) approved by the Board are in breach of the law, which may result in the loss of permanent residency.