Temporary Work Permit FAQs
Temporary Work Permit FAQsFrequently Asked Questions about Temporary Work Permits.
- What happens next?
If the application is approved, a letter will be sent to the applicant advising them of the decision and setting out the terms and conditions upon which the worker may work.
Important:the employee is not allowed to work for any employer or perform any other occupation than that or those listed in the Temporary Work Permit. Also, the permission of the employee to remain and work in the Cayman Islands ceases in the event that the Temporary Work Permit expires, is revoked, or if their employment is terminated.
If the application is refused, there is a right of appeal to the Work Permit Board.
- Is it possible to work for morethan one employer on a temporary work permit?
- If it is clear on the application that the Temporary Work Permit is to be shared by two or more employers, then this will be taken into account by the Chief Immigration Officer. It is also possible to apply for an amendment to the Temporary Work Permit during its currency to add or remove an employer.
- If my employer has applied for a full work permit before the expiry of my temporary work permit may I continue to work whilst awaiting the outcome of the decision on the application?
- Yes. Provided the employer applied for the grant of the full work permit before the expiry of the Temporary Work Permit you may continue to work for the same employer on the same terms and conditions until the outcome of the application (and any subsequent appeal to the Immigration Appeals Tribunal) is known. But if the application for the full work permit is submitted after the expiry of the Temporary Work Permit then you may not continue to work whilst awaiting the outcome of the application. As soon as the Temporary Work Permit expires you must report to the Department of Immigration Headquarters to request permission to remain as a visitor.
- Is it possible to have dependants included on a temporary work permit?
- Yes. If a Temporary Work Permit is approved, any dependants listed on the application may, at the discretion of the Chief Immigration Officer, be included. It is also possible to apply during the currency of a Temporary Work Permit to add or remove dependants.